Charred White Cloud Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower, stem and greens removed
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced rutabaga
- 1/2 cup diced baby carrots
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or grape seed oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper or a blend of cayenne pepper and paprika
- Black pepper
- Place cauliflower stem side down on a cutting board and slice it into two 3-inch cross sections; reserve remaining pieces. In a large pot of boiling water, blanch cauliflower "steaks" until center is tender, about 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water and chill for at least 1 minute. When cold, dry cauliflower steaks on paper towels.
- Pour 1 can coconut milk into a shallow casserole dish. Add cauliflower steaks and pour remaining coconut milk over the top. Marinate for at least 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. While constantly whisking, slowly add olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
- Dice reserved cauliflower. In a large pan over high heat, saute cauliflower, rutabaga, and carrots in vegetable oil until slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and Aleppo pepper and season to taste with salt and pepper. Saute for approximately 2 minutes more or until vegetables are tender but not yet soft. Remove from heat and set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Preheat a grill to high, or set a grill pan over high heat. Remove cauliflower steaks from coconut milk and blot with a towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 minutes or until grill marks appear. Flip and grill for 2 minutes more. Pile sauteed vegetables on top of cauliflower steaks. Drizzle with sherry vinaigrette.
- Recipe provided by Chef Alex Guarnaschelli, Butter Restaurant in New York City
- Photo credit: Claire Benoist
Per serving: 574 kcal cal., 49 g fat (10.4 g sat. fat), 481 mg sodium, 10 g fiber, 9 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet