Chicken and Mushroom Ramen
Enjoy a hot, aromatic bowl of Asian-style noodles by substituting spiralized zucchini for wheat noodles.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, halved lengthwise
- Sliced scallions
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- To make zucchini noodles, use a julienne slicer or spiralizer to cut zucchini into thin slices. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Rub chicken thighs with five-spice powder; sprinkle with black pepper. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until done (175 degrees ), turning once halfway through. Let stand 10 minutes. Slice chicken and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine stock, ginger, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Add mushrooms; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Add zucchini noodles; simmer 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat. Add spinach; stir just until wilted. Stir in chicken.
- Divide among four bowls; top with hard-cooked egg halves and scallions. If desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper.
- Adapted with permission from Real Paleo Fast & Easy by Loren Cordain (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2015)
- Photo credit: Waterbury Publications