Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 2 ounces whole grain rolls
- In a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, black pepper and paprika. Set aside. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion and saute 2 minutes. Add flour mixture and stir to coat. Stir in carrots, celery, parsnip, rutabaga, potatoes, tomatoes, broth and mustard, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, 7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Stir in green beans and cook 1 minute, until beans are heated through. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Ladle stew into bowls and serve each with a whole-grain roll on the side.
- Nutritional information does not include whole-grain rolls.
Per serving: 418 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 59 g carb., 12 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 35 g pro., 174 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet