Chicken Broccoli Rice Skillet with Cheddar Cheese
This one-pot meal is super easy to toss together - basically, you just toss everything inside and mix! It also provides a healthy dose of four food groups, including lean protein, vegetables, dairy, and whole grains.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces (about 11/2 cups)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet or pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same skillet. Stir frequently and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cook until coated, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in broccoli. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Serve once cheese is melted.
- Recipe by Katie Serbinski, R.D., of Mom to Mom Nutrition.
Per serving: 438 kcal cal., 20 g fat (8 g sat. fat), 482 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 37 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet