Chicken Sausage with Kale
A nutritional powerhouse, kale is adored by foodies and nutritionists alike.
- 1 pound kale, tough stems and center ribs removed, leaves cut into thin ribbons
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound uncooked chicken sausages
- 1 medium onion, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into crescents
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large skillet. Add kale, cover and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and onions; brown for 8 minutes. Transfer sausages to a plate. In same skillet add broth, garlic and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium, then add kale. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add sausages, cover skillet, and continue cooking for 2 minutes, or until sausages are cooked through. Turn off heat and stir in 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, salt and remaining 2 teaspoons of oil.
Per serving: 334 kcal cal., 14 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 2522 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 35 g pro., 241 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet