Chicken Vegetable Red Thai Curry Bowl
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- Sea salt
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 lemongrass stalk, cut diagonally in 2 to 3 pieces and bruised with a mallet
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 2 large carrots, unpeeled, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped basil, plus more for garnish
- Cooked brown rice noodles or brown rice, to serve
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Melt the coconut oil, and add the onion and a pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, coconut milk, curry paste, lime juice, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until thickened and reduced by one-third, 12 to 15 minutes. Whisk in coconut aminos and fish sauce.
- Add chicken, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots. Cook until chicken is cooked through but not dry and the vegetables are tender but still brightly colored, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add peas, chopped cilantro, and chopped basil. Using tongs, fish out lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves to discard. Taste and add more coconut aminos or fish sauce, if you'd like.
- Serve immediately over noodles or rice.