Chicken With Apples, Pearl Onions and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium, nonfat chicken broth or water, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 4 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen small white onions, thawed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- In a medium saucepan, add rice to boiling broth/water, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Place broccoli on rice, cover; cook 5 minutes. Salt and pepper both sides of chicken. In a large saucepan, saute chicken in oil 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes, until potatoes are tender and chicken is done. Remove broccoli from atop rice and spoon rice into shallow dinner bowls. Spoon chicken and vegetable mixture over top and arrange broccoli alongside.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 535 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 1031 mg sodium, 8 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 35 g pro., 111 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet