Chickpea and Spinach Stew
Here's a hearty meatless meal. Enjoy it on its own or served over whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small chopped uncooked onions
- 1 salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, packed in their own juice, undrained
- 45 ounces canned chickpeas (undrained), rinsed and drained
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, baby leaves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juice, and chickpeas; stir to combine and mash chickpeas slightly with a potato masher.
- Using tongs, toss in spinach and sprinkle mixture with water; cook, covered, until spinach is wilted, tossing mixture once half-way through, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 236 kcal cal., 6 g fat (0.5 g sat. fat), 36 g carb., 12 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 13 g pro., 53 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet