Chilled Carrot Soup
The only heat in this dish comes from the fat-fighting cayenne pepper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 rib celery
- 3 large leeks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- Parsley, to garnish
- 4 toasted pita pockets
- Heat oil on medium-low heat in medium size pot. Add carrots, celery, onions, leeks, and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add spices and vegetable broth. Simmer for 30 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Remove pot from heat. In small batches, puree soup in blender until silky smooth. Return soup to pot and finish with creme fraiche. Thin to desired consistency with additional broth, if necessary. Adjust seasoning. Chill.
- Serve in vodka shot glasses garnished with parsley and toasted pocket-less pita on the side.
Per serving: 293 kcal cal., 15 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 39 g carb., 8 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 5 g pro., 149 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet