These guilt-free cookies are the perfect post-meal treat.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa, espresso powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy using an electric mixer set to medium speed. Add cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla; increase speed to high, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and mixture becomes glossy. Gently fold in cocoa mixture until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip. (If you don't have a pastry bag, transfer the mixture to a zip-top bag and cut off one of the corners, leaving a 1/4-inch opening.) Pipe 1 1/2-inch mounds onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until set. Turn off oven and leave cookies in for at least 45 minutes more. Remove from oven; transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Dust slightly with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1 meringue, and does not include optional Confectioners' sugar for dusting.
Per serving: 20 kcal cal., 0 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 5 g carb., 0 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 1 g pro., 2 mg calcium, 0 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet