Cocoa Spaghetti Bolognese
Its hidden notes of wine and chocolate gives this pasta dish unexpected depth and flavor. Add parmesan cheese for an extra pop of sweetness. Prepare this healthy recipe for your next date night or dinner party.
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1/8 pound pancetta, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 link chicken sausage (about 1/4 pound), removed from casing
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 12 ounce box whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add shallot and saute for 1 minute or until soft. Add pancetta and cook for 2 minutes more. Mix in ground chicken, ground turkey, and sausage. Saute, breaking up meat as it cooks, for 10 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add wine to the saucepan and bring to a low boil, then add chicken stock, cocoa powder, nutmeg, tomato paste, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions.
- Drain cooked pasta and toss with sauce. Divide evenly among six plates and serve topped with grated Parmesan if desired.
Per serving: 370 kcal cal., 6 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 46 g carb., 5 g fiber, 33 g pro., 38 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet