Coconut Cream Eton Mess
The recipe below serves four. If preparing for two, simply divide the recipe by half and make smaller, 4-inch wide layers.
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup honey
- 3 10-ounce cans coconut milk, refrigerated over night
- 1/3 cup coconut manna (aka coconut butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted then cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Make the honey meringue: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk the whites on medium speed to form medium peaks. Meanwhile, heat 2/3 cup of honey in a small saucepan set over a low heat until it reaches a temperature of 250 degrees. Once at temperature, slowly add honey in a steady stream to the egg whites. Increase the speed to high and whisk until the bowl is cool to the touch and the whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- Line two large baking trays with parchment paper. Divide the mixture between each tray, then use the back of a spoon to shape and swirl it across the trays, leaving a 2-inch gap around the edges. Bake in the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until crisp on the outside and a little soft and sticky inside. Once cooked, leave the meringues to cool.
- Make the coconut cream: Chill a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Using a spoon, skim the top layer of coconut cream from inside the can (about 2 cups of cream total from both), and place it in the chilled mixing bowl with coconut manna, coconut oil, 1/4 cup honey and vanilla. Beat on low speed until small bubbles form, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and continue beating until the cream thickens and light peaks form, about two minutes. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to four hours.
- Combine strawberries, lemon, and remaining 1 tablespoon honey. Let them sit together for at least an hour, letting the strawberries macerate and release their juices.
- To serve, place one disc of meringue on a serving plate, load up with coconut cream and strawberries, pomegranate seeds, and drizzle with honey. Add other disc of meringue, and the remaining coconut whipped cream, strawberries, and another drizzle of honey.
- Adapted with permission from The Kitchy Kitchen.
- Photo credit: Claire Thomas/The Kitchy Kitchen