Cold Poached Chicken Avocado and Mango Mousseline
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra
- 4 6 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large ripe avocado (3/4 pound)
- 1 very large ripe mango (about 1 pound)
- In a large nonstick skillet, bring 2 inches of salted water (about 1 teaspoon salt) to a boil. Add chicken breasts. Cook over high heat for 2 minutes on one side. Turn chicken and repeat. Lower heat to a simmer, cover pan, and cook chicken for 2 more minutes. Remove pan from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes, or until chicken is just firm to the touch. Remove from water and wrap each portion of chicken in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, use a small, sharp knife to skin mango and cut the flesh from the pit. Cut three-quarters of the flesh into chunks and place in a blender. Cut avocado in half and remove the pit. Cut half of avocado into chunks and add to blender with a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of water. Process until very smooth. (You should end up with about 1 2/3 cups of mousseline sauce).
- Spoon the mousseline sauce onto four plates, spreading it slightly with the back of a spoon to create a "bed" for the chicken. Cut cooled chicken breasts into thick slices. Lay in overlapping slices on top of the mousseline sauce. Cut the remaining mango and avocado into thin slices and use to garnish.
- Recipes adapted with permission from Healthy 1-2-3 by Rozanne Gold (Stewart Tabori & Chang, 2001).
- Nutritional analysis by Linwood, N.J., nutritionist Helen Kimmel, M.S., R.D.
Per serving: 306 kcal cal., 12 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 199 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 37 g pro., 20 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet