Indulge in the creaminess of this holiday side for half the fat and calories of its traditional counterpart. The tofu ups the nutrional profile by adding protein and creaminess to the fiber and texture of the spinach.
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 8 ounces silken tofu, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop spinach and transfer to a large bowl.
- Process tofu, mayonnaise, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade until smooth.
- Pour tofu mixture into a a medium saucepan and gently cook over medium-low, making sure mixture doesn't boil. Once warmed through, remove from heat, pour over spinach, and gently mix together. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 238 kcal cal., 10 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 503 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 6 g pro., 165 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet