Creamy Avocado-Basil Pasta with Swiss Chard
Who says comfort food can't be healthy? This creamy avocado-basil pasta will take you back to eating fettuccini alfredo as a kid - and you'll get all that creamy pasta comfort while eating foods that really serve your body. Instead of a heavy sause, the delicious, creamy avocados fuel your body with the healthy fats it needs.
- 2 cups brown rice pasta
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup peas
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/4 cup EVOO (plus 2 tablespoons for the swiss chard)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 garlic (sauteed lightly)
- 1 cup swiss chard
- 1/4 cup crushed cashew (to garnish)
- Bring a large sauce pan to boil on the stove, directions may vary depending which pasta you select.
- Once water boils, stick 2 cups of pasta in and stir periodically as it's cooking. While that's going, get out your food processor or Vitamix to make the sauce.
- Toss in avocados, peas, basil, EVOO, and salt. Before you throw garlic in there, place in on the stove in a sauce pan with a tiny bit of EVOO and saute it for a few minutes. This will help take edge off the garlic and make the flavor a bit sweeter, less spicy. Put that in your food processor when it's browning slightly and turn it on. Pulse it till you get a nice creamy consistency. Taste it, add more salt or pepper if need be.
- By this time the pasta should be done. Strain it and place it aside in a large mixing bowl. Chop your swiss chard up and place it on the stove with a tablespoon of EVOO in a sauce pan. Let that saute lightly while you combine pasta and sauce. Gently fold the sauce in, place in to your bowls, store whatever you would like to save, top with your sauteed swiss chard then garnish with some crushed cashews.
- Recipe provided by Cassandra Bodzak
Per serving: 644 kcal cal., 22 g fat) (609 mg sodium, 13 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 13 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet