Creamy Beet Green Chopped Salad
The combination of beets, quinoa, and chickpeas gives this spring salad a nice boost of fiber, whole grains, and healthy fat. The beets also contribute a good amount of folate, a B vitamin important for healthy red blood cells.
For the salad:
- 1 bunch of beets, including fresh greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
For Green Goddess dressing:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped anchovy (about 2 fillets)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the tops and roots of the beets, and peel each one with a vegetable peeler. Cut the beets into 1-inch chunks. Place the beets on a baking sheet. Toss with oil, salt, and pepper and roast for about 25-30 minutes, until beets are tender.
- Meanwhile, clean, dry, and chop off the red stems. Chop the greens and place them in a large bowl.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add quinoa, chickpeas, and tomatoes to bowl of greens. Toss with generous amounts of dressing.
- Recipe and photo provided by Min Kwon, R.D., founder of The Adventures of MJ and Hungryman
Per serving: 194 kcal cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 44 g carb., 7 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 12 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet