Creamy, Guilt-Free Avocado Pasta Sauce
Aren't avocados the best? We love them mashed into guacamole, blended into a smoothie, and whipped into a salad dressing. In this recipe, we take our love for avocados to the next level by turning the beloved fruit into a pasta sauce. (Cue singing angels.) This sauce is rich but totally virtuous, and the whole meal takes just 30 minutes to prepare.
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 2 avocados - halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 bunch scallions, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the pasta cooks, make the sauce: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the avocados, garlic, scallions, lemon juice and olive oil until smooth.
- When the pasta is tender, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add the reserved water to the avocado mixture and process until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, portion the pasta onto plates and garnish with parsley.
- This recipe originally appeared as Spaghetti with Avocado Sauce on PureWow.