Creamy Polenta with Roasted Root Vegetables and Kale Pesto
- 2 1/2 pounds peeled root vegetables, like beets, carrots, turnips, and radishes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . On a large baking sheet, toss vegetables with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast until tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring water or stock, polenta, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, whisking often. Whisk in cheese and season with pepper to taste.
- In a food processor, pulse garlic until minced; add kale, pine nuts, lemon juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pulse until finely chopped. With machine running, drizzle in remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and process until pureed.
- Spoon polenta into 4 shallow serving bowls and top each with a swirl of pesto. Add roasted vegetables and a dollop of pesto to each bowl.
Per serving: 610 kcal cal., 26 g fat (3.9 g sat. fat), 84 g carb., 16 g fiber, 13 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet