Creamy Vegetarian Polenta
- 3 cups coconut milk
- cup vegetable broth
- Sea salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup shelled green peas
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine coconut milk, broth, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add polenta, trickling it into the liquid like rain and whisking vigorously the whole time. Reduce the heat to bring to a low simmer, and cook, uncovered, whisking vigorously several times so the polenta doesn't clump, until the polenta is soft, 45 to 55 minutes. Add coconut butter and nutritional yeast. Sprinkle black pepper to taste and mix well.
- While the polenta is cooking, heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat. Melt the coconut oil, then add the leeks and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the leeks are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cook, stirring often, until bright green and still firm, about 3 minutes. Add the peas, tomatoes, lemon juice, lentils, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste) and cook long enough to warm everything through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley.