Crunchy Thai Veggie Salad with Peanut Dressing
We know, we know. Salad is good for us. But most of the time it's just so...boring. And rather than fill yet another bowl with mesclun, we had to find a salad with a little more substance. Our Thai-inspired version swaps greens for a whole bunch of crunchy veggies (bell peppers, snow peas and red cabbage, to name a few). Then we whip up a creamy peanut dressing that, in our humble opinion, rivals the stuff from our local Thai joint. Halfway through our first plate, we were already thinking about seconds.
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups snow peas, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into strips
- 1 cup dried mango, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup peanuts, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
Make the salad:
- Toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
Make the dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients together until the dressing is smooth in texture. (You can also use a mini food processor or an immersion blender to mix the dressing. If so, you don't have to chop the garlic or ginger.)
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. To serve, pile a helping of salad onto a plate and top generously with more cilantro and peanuts. The salad gets better as it sits and will keep for up to three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- This recipe originally appeared as Thai Veggie Salad on PureWow.