Curried Chicken and Veggie Black Rice Bowls
- 1 cup black rice (forbidden rice), rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 (13 1/2 ounces) light coconut milk
- 2 shallots, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 red radishes, very thinly sliced
- Combine rice and 1 3/4 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir well, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop the top solid portion of coconut milk into a medium saucepan over medium heat, reserving remaining coconut milk. Cook until melted, then add shallots and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, about 7 minutes. Add curry paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute more. Add remaining coconut milk to pan and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook until rice has cooked for 30 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower to rice and add remaining 1/4 cup water. Cover the pan and cook 5 minutes more, then remove from heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to curry sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice, broccoli, and cauliflower among serving bowls. Top with the chicken mixture and radishes.
Per serving: 388 kcal cal., 10 g fat (5.7 g sat. fat), 402 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 34 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet