Curried Turkey and Lentil Burgers
Since these Indian-spiced burgers blend sweet potato and lentils into the patties, they're softer than hamburgers, so pan-sear them or grill carefully on a piece of foil.
- 1/2 large sweet potato
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Stab sweet potato with a fork all over. Microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes. Cut in half length-wise and let cool.
- Add turkey, lentils, onion, garlic, and half the sweet potato to a large bowl. Add panko, yogurt, cumin, curry, cayenne, and pepper to taste. Using your hands, mix everything together and form into 6 patties. Place in the freezer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Choose desired cooking method: Pan sear over medium heat or grill until turkey is cooked through, about 12 minutes. Or pan sear on both sides for 2 minutes over medium high heat and then bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Recipe provided by Lindsay Livingston, R.D., of The Lean Green Bean
Per serving: 127 kcal cal., 3 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 13 g carb., 12 g pro., 36 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet