Dreamy Butternut Squash Mac 'n' Cheese
Who doesn't love a bowl of warm, creamy mac 'n' cheese? Enjoy this satisfying yet low-fat version with the rich flavors of butternut squash, Gruyere cheese, and fresh herbs without any guilt.
For mac 'n' cheese:
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, halved, and seeded, then quartered and sliced into triangles
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound small elbow macaroni or mini shells
- 2 tablespoons grated Gruyere
For herbed breadcrumb topping:
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large saucepan, add butternut squash, garlic, thyme, almond milk, and stock. Cook until squash is fork-tender. Remove thyme sprig. Place mixture in a food processor or blender, and puree until velvety smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni until al dente (semifirm). Drain and rinse with cool water. Spread out macaroni on a lightly greased 13-by-9-inch pan. Pour squash puree over noodles. Cover with foil, place in oven, and bake for approximately 45 minutes. While casserole bakes, combine all ingredients for breadcrumb topping.
- Remove pan from oven and evenly spread breadcrumb topping and Gruyere over top. Transfer to broiler and broil for 5 to 10 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- *To veganize this dish, opt for veggie stock and swap in almond cheese.
- Recipe adapted from Cook Yourself Sexy by Candice Kumai, Rodale Books, 2012
Per serving: 443 kcal cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 86 g carb., 6 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 16 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet