Easy, Homemade Fortune Cookies
Ladies, it's been a heck of a year. And we want to share a recipe to end 2014 with a bang...and a bit of good fortune. Introducing easy fortune cookies. These crispy, crunchy cookies require just three ingredients (dumpling wrappers, melted butter and sugar) and about 10 minutes in the oven. But the best part is making up the fortunes to place inside. We suggest going all out with real predictions - none of this "You will smile today" crap. Try "It's actually a girl" or "You will buy those shoes tomorrow" or even "You're getting lucky tonight!"
- 12 circular dumpling wrappers
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 12 small strips of paper with fortunes written on them
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Working one at a time, brush a dumpling wrapper with about 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter (just enough to coat one side of the wrapper). Sprinkle the buttered side with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Flip the wrapper over so the plain side is facing up, then place a fortune in the center of the wrapper. Fold one side of the wrapper over the other and press lightly to seal. Push the ends of the folded wrapper toward each other to make the traditional fortune-cookie shape.
- Place the cookie into a cavity of the prepared muffin tin. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake until the cookies are golden and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool slightly (about 5 minutes), then use a spatula to remove them from the tin (they'll be harder to remove once they've cooled completely because they are very crisp). The cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to three days.
- This recipe originally appeared as Easy Fortune Cookies on PureWow