Fall Curry Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat a saute pan over medium-high. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil and chicken strips to pan. Sear for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through (you may need to work in batches). Remove cooked chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add onion and remaining vegetable oil to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Add curry powder, cayenne pepper, cardamom, and tomato paste and mix. Deglaze pan with coconut milk, scraping up any cooked-on bits with a wooden spoon and mixing them into sauce.
- Add squash to sauce and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until squash has softened. Return chicken and juices to pan. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add raisins and apple. Stir to combine. Divide evenly among four plates and top each with 1 tablespoon roasted pumpkin seeds.
Per serving: 352 kcal cal., 13 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 444 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 29 g pro., 81 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet