Farfalle Pasta with Tomato Sauce, Cannellini Beans, and Broccoli Rabe
Try this easy pasta recipe tonight. Farfalle pasta combined with a quick tomato sauce, protein-rich cannellini beans, and nutrient-packed broccoli rabe make this a tasty and healthy pasta dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 6 cups broccoli rabe leaves and florets, rinsed and chopped
- 3 cups diced ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano, plus oregano sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta (bow-tie pasta)
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and a pinch of salt; saute for 6 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in garlic, chili flakes, and broccoli rabe. Cook for 8 minutes or until greens have softened. Stir in tomatoes and minced oregano, along with another pinch of salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently.
- Once water comes to a boil, add farfalle pasta and cook for about 7 minutes or until al dente. Halfway through simmering sauce and cooking pasta about 5 minutes add beans to sauce, crushing them slightly with a potato masher or a fork to thicken sauce.
- Continue simmering sauce for another 5 minutes while pasta cooks.
- Drain pasta and immediately return to cooking pot. Add half the sauce and stir to mix. Divide farfalle pasta among 6 plates and top with remaining tomato sauce. Top with cheese and oregano sprigs, if desired.
- Recipe courtesy of Solage Calistoga Resort in Calistoga, CA.
- Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 405 kcal cal., 7 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 66 g carb., 8 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 20 g pro., 266 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet