Fennel and Brussels Sprouts with Spiced Pecans
Fennel and orange bring out the sweetness in brussels sprouts and Fennel and Brussels Sprouts with Spiced Pecans is a good source of folate.
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon red wine or sherry vinegar
- 20 ounces Brussels sprouts (2 packages)
- 1 large or 2 small heads fennel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 spiced pecans (1 ounce), chopped
- Zest orange and set zest aside. Juice orange and mix vinegar with juice; set aside.
- Trim stem end of each brussels sprout and remove first outer leaves; discard. Using a small knife, cut out stem of each sprout and separate all leaves, discarding very center of each sprout. Set leaves aside. (see Notes)
- Trim fennel heads and slice thinly. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced fennel and toss. Allow to cook 5 to 6 minutes and toss again. Cook up to 15 more minutes, tossing occasionally, until fennel is tender and turning golden brown.
- Add brussels sprout leaves, salt, and half of orange juice mixture. Cook, tossing until juice is gone and leaves begin to wilt. Add remaining juice and let reduce for 2 minutes. Add zest, toss together, and serve topped with chopped spiced pecans.
Make Ahead Tip
- Step 2 can be done two days before. Cover the leaves with a damp (not wet) paper towel to keep them crisp, and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 117 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 15 g carb., 6 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 4 g pro., 72 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet