Fennel Top Granita
Go root to leaf and turn fennel tops into a granita. Then serve it with arugula, shrimp, and seasonal fruit.
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups fennel tops, juiced
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- Combine water and sugar in a small pot and heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Add fennel and lemon juices to the sugar syrup and pour into a metal or glass baking pan. Freeze until icy around edges, about 25 minutes. Using a fork, stir the icy portions from edges into middle of pan. Return pan to freezer and repeat every 20 to 30 minutes until completely frozen.
- Using a fork, scrape the granite into flaky crystals. Cover tightly and refreeze.
- Recipe provided by chef Bruce Kalman of Union in Pasadena, California.
- Photo credit: Union