Full of Goodness
This colorful veggie-based entree is a feast for your eyes as well as your taste buds!
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 ounces lotus root, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 ounces pumpkin, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cups bonito flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of superfine sugar
- Preheat the grill on its highest setting, or heat a griddle pan. Place all the vegetables on a tray and grill both sides for three to four minutes, or for longer if you like a little smoky flavor. Or use the griddle pan if you want griddle marks.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Pour 1 scant cup hot water into a cup and add the bonito flakes. Leave for five minutes. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, oil, sea salt, and sugar, and mix well.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving plate and pour over the sauce. Serve immediately.
- Recipe provided by Makiko Sano, author of Healthy Japanese Cooking: Simple Recipes for a Long Life, the Shoku-Iku Way.