Garganelli Pasta with Asparagus, Artichokes, Pea Purée and Fava Beans
Try this tasty recipe is from Chef Victor Casanova at Culina restaurant in Los Angeles. (300 South Doheny Drive, Los Angeles; Culinarestaurant.com)
- 4 baby artichokes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed
- 8 ounces garganelli pasta (or use penne)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen baby peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup fava beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 stalks of asparagus, cut into 2-inch sections
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut tops off the artichokes and peel the stems. Toss with olive oil, lemon zest, and rosemary. Place in a roasting pan covered with aluminum foil and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente, about 11 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, put peas in a small pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and immediately drain, reserving half the liquid. Transfer peas to a blender and process on high. Add tarragon and just enough of the reserved liquid to help peas puree smoothly.
- Then, bring a small pot of water to a boil and add the fava beans. Cook for 20 seconds, then drain and set aside. 6. In a large skillet, add butter and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and add asparagus, roasted artichokes, and spinach. Bring to a boil, then add cooked pasta and fava beans. Add pea puree, stirring to coat the pasta. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 seconds. Divide among 4 plates and serve immediately.
Per serving: 431 kcal cal., 8 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 74 g carb., 16 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 20 g pro., 123 mg calcium, 6 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet