Ginger Beer Rhubarb Rice
Balance spicy ginger and tart rhubarb with sweet, creamy rice for a comforting breakfast bowl that will warm you right up.
- 13 ounces fresh rhubarb stalks, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup ginger beer
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Juice of 1/4 lime
- 6 ounces pudding rice, rinsed and drained (just under 1 cup)
- 21 ounces whole milk
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup caster or granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- In a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high, heat rhubarb, ginger beer, and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in lime zest and juice. Simmer until stalks are tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat rice and milk. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to very low, and cook, uncovered, until thick and creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, sugar, egg yolks, and pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Divide rice among serving bowls and top with rhubarb-ginger compote.
- Recipe provided by Nisha Katona, author of Pimp My Rice.