Glazed Portobello Pesto Pasta Bowl
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps, thickly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups whole wheat pasta (or brown rice pasta, if gluten-free)
- 8 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts truffle salt, for garnish (optional)
- Place the mushroom slices in a shallow container with an airtight lid. Pour the water, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper into the container, swish it around, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1/4 cup of the marinade. Bring to a simmer and then add the mushroom slices to the pan, cooking for 5 minutes on each side or until all the marinade has reduced and the mushrooms have browned.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, leaving it just a little firmer than you normally would.
- Drain the noodles, return them to the pot, and set over medium-low heat. Stir the pesto into the pasta until coated evenly, cook for 2 minutes, and season with the salt.
- Divide the pasta among 4 bowls, along with the portobello slices. Top each bowl with cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, and a small pinch of truffle salt, if using. Serve immediately.
- Credit: Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon