Grilled Cherry Shortcake
This fun recipe combines the best ingredients of cherry shortcake (the cake and cherries, of course) for a fraction of the calories. A slice of shortcake can run at least 450 calories, while two of these skewers are slightly over 130.
- 20 (1-inch) pound cake or angel food cake cubes
- 20 Stemilt cherries, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Skewer two pound cake cubes and two cherries onto each of ten skewers. Brush with melted butter.
- Combine yogurt, one teaspoon zest, one teaspoon lemon juice, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- Grill skewers over medium heat five minutes on each side or until golden brown and cherries soften. Serve with yogurt dipping sauce.
- Recipe by Holley Grainger, R.D., on behalf of Stemilt Growers.
Per serving: 132 kcal cal., 5 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 20 g carb., 1 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 3 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet