Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Pineapple Salsa
Jazz up boring grilled chicken kebabs with a delicious marinade and pineapple salsa.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pineapple
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or any herb)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound chicken breast, pounded and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 12 2-inch pineapple chunks
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Place chopped pineapple, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a blender. Blend, adding water as needed to thin to the consistency of barbecue sauce.
- Place chicken and three-quarters of the pineapple mixture in a large zip-top bag; turn bag to coat. Leave to marinate for up to 30 minutes. Reserve remaining pineapple mixture for basting.
- While the chicken marinates (or up to 1 hour ahead), make the pineapple salsa: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Let stand for at least 10 minutes at room temperature to blend flavors.
- Heat grill to medium. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Place chicken on the grill and cook for 4 minutes, turning after 2 minutes. Remove from grill.
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle, thread skewers with 4 pieces of chicken and 3 chunks of pineapple, alternating chicken and pineapple (start and end with chicken).
- Place chicken kebabs on grill and cook for 3 minutes. Baste with remaining pineapple mixture, turn, baste again, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Spoon 1 cup pineapple salsa on each of four plates. Remove grilled chicken kebabs and serve over pineapple salsa.
- Cut 1 pound tofu into 1 1/2-inch cubes and marinate. Alternate pineapple and tofu on skewers (pierce tofu from top to bottom, not through cut sides). Place kebabs on grill over medium heat and cook 3 minutes. Baste with remaining pineapple mixture, turn, baste again, cook another 3 minutes.
Per serving: 412 kcal cal., 14 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 373 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 35 g sugar, 26 g pro., 78 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet