Grilled Chicken with Za'atar
This recipe makes more spice blend than you'll need; store the extra and sprinkle on vegetables, dips, dressings, fish, eggs, and more.
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon dried sumac
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless organic chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a small jar, combine the dried thyme, sesame seeds, sumac, oregano, and marjoram.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the za'atar, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Working with one piece at a time, put the chicken between several layers of parchment paper and pound with a meat pounder until about 1/4 inch thick. Put the chicken in a pan in which the pieces fit without overlapping. Spread the za'atar mixture evenly over the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes. Bring the chicken to room temperature.
- Oil a grill or grill pan and heat to medium-high. Place the chicken on the grill and cook until firm to the touch and the juices run clear, 2 minutes on each side. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Recipe provided by Rebecca Katz, author of The Healthy Mind Cookbook.