Grilled Watermelon Salad
Enjoy grilled watermelon combined with seasonal herbs like basil and mint for a refreshing starter salad. Besides being 92 percent water, melons are a good source of the antioxidants beta-carotene and vitamin C. They also contain the phytochemical lycopene, shown to help lower the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- 1 small seedless watermelon, sliced into 1/2-inch thick quarter triangles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for brushing
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 4 fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated finely
- Pre-heat grill or grill pan (for about 5 minutes) over medium high heat until very hot.
- Brush watermelon slices with olive oil.
- Grill watermelon for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until grill marks appear.
- Remove from grill, cool slightly. Cut off rind and chop into chunks.
- Add watermelon to serving bowl and toss with lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, mint and cheese.
- Recipe and photo by Deanna Segrave-Daly, R.D., of Teaspoon of Spice.
Per serving: 236 kcal cal., 6 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 112 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 35 g sugar, 6 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet