Grilled Watermelon With Togarashi and Shiso
Sweet watermelon gets a savory and spicy twist with this grilled recipe. Shichimi togarashi is a Japanese spice blend that works on anything from soup to popcorn.
- 1 watermelon, quartered and sliced into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 teaspoons togarashi
- Shiso leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios
- Heat grill to very high heat. Rub cut flesh of watermelon with olive oil and sea salt and grill for about 1 minute on each side. Remove from grill and let it cool for 2 minutes.
- Once melon is cool, season lightly with togarashi, a pinch of sea salt, and a few drizzles of olive oil. Garnish with shiso and toasted pistachios.
- Recipe provided by Chef Todd Kelly of Orchids at Palm Court in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Photo credit: Orchids at Palm Court