Double the recipe and freeze a batch and you'll always be minutes away from a healthy dinner.
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup uncooked cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ghee or tallow
- 1/2 pound sweet bell peppers, quartered
- 15 1/4-ounce can pineapple chunks in pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup beef bone broth
- Pinch of pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot dissolved in 1/2 c warm water
- 1 pound butternut squash, spiralized
- To a large bowl, add the pancetta, cauliflower rice, onions, egg, sea salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix well to combine. Add the veal and beef and gently mix together by hand, being careful not to overmix. Shape the mixture into 2-ounce uniform-sized meatballs.
- Melt the ghee in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown each side for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Drain the excess fat from the pan. Add the bell peppers and pineapple chunks. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pineapple juice, beef bone broth and red pepper flakes. Deglaze the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Once the liquid starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low. Mix the sauce and return the meatballs to the pan. Cover and let it cook for 30 minutes. Pour in the dissolved arrowroot and stir until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the spiralized butternut squash. Mix with the sauce and let it simmer for 4 to 5 minutes until the butternut squash slightly softens. Let cool for 3 minutes before serving.
- Adapted with permission from One Pot Paleo by Jenny Castaneda (Page Street Publishing, 2015)
- Photo credit: Jenny Castaneda