Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This spicy take on traditional Mexican tortilla soup will hit the spot.
- 3 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 cup 2% shredded Mexican cheese blend, for garnish
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Arrange chicken in a single layer in a large pot and cover with about 1 inch water. Sprinkle in a few pinches salt. Place on medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, simmering for 10 to 15 minutes until internal temperature in thickest part of chicken reaches 165 degrees. (Or cut into thickest part of chicken and if still pink, continue cooking for 10 minutes.) Transfer chicken to a large bowl or cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onions and garlic, and cook until translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile add tomatoes, carrots, green pepper, and jalapeno to a blender or food processor and mix until blended but still chunky.
- Once onions are done, add spices and 1 teaspoon salt to the pot and cook for 1 minute. Add shredded chicken, tomato mixture, chicken broth, corn, beans, and 1/2 cup cilantro. Add 1 cup water if soup is too thick for your taste. Simmer, partly covered, until thoroughly heated and corn is tender, about 30 minutes or up to 1 hour to allow flavors to develop. Add more salt if necessary.
- When soup is ready, brown tortillas on a baking sheet under a broiler for 1 to 3 minutes. Let cool and break into strips. Garnish soup with tortilla strips, cheese, remaining cilantro, and 1 squeeze fresh lime juice.
- Recipe provided by Back to the Cutting Board
Per serving: 228 kcal cal., 3 g fat (0.5 g sat. fat), 30 g carb., 9 g fiber, 21 g pro., 61 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet