Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
Unsweetened cocoa powder delivers the rich taste of chocolate without the fat in this cupcake recipe.
For the Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup cupcake tin with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition. Beat in coffee and vanilla. Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until batter is smooth.
- Fill cupcake cups 2/3 full (you'll have some batter left, which you can discard) and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make the Frosting:
- Combine sugar and water in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Beat egg white, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar syrup; beat until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy in texture, about 7 minutes more. Frost chocolate cupcakes just before serving.
- Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1 cupcake.
Per serving: 170 kcal cal., 5 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 166 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 22 g sugar, 3 g pro., 35 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet