Healthy Homemade Rum Donuts
Try this healthy donut recipe with rum for a flavorful and wonderfully textured donut.
- 2 3/4 cups butter (reserve 3/4 stick for topping)
- 2 1/4 cups sugar (reserve 3/4 cup for topping)
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups rum, (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- Walnuts to line pan
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup water
- Dash cinnamon
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg yolks and mix. Add rum and mix. Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to wet mixture. Line pan with chopped walnuts, pour batter in over walnuts and bake at 350 degrees in donut pans for 12-15 min or until golden. For topping, simmer all ingredients for 10-15 min until it thickens and the sugar and rum burn off. Poke small holes in the donuts with a fork after they've cooled and pour topping over and enjoy!! The donuts can also be made in an angel food cake pan and baked for 45 min.
- Nutritional information is based on 12 servings, but does not include walnuts to line pan.
Per serving: 695 kcal cal., 46 g fat (28 g sat. fat), 197 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 38 g sugar, 5 g pro., 93 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet