Hearty Beef and Bean Chili
Perfect for a party! Just leave the chili pot over low heat and offer a variety of toppings on the side: scallions, reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat Cheddar.
- 1 pound lean trimmed sirloin beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- 2 medium ribs celery, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 15 ounce cans kidney beans
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- Coat a large stockpot with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Remove beef from pot; set aside.
- Add oil to pot; set over medium-high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, add onion, celery, garlic and jalapeno; saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add reserved beef, chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt and red pepper flakes (add more if desired); stir to coat vegetables and beef with spices.
- Add tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce and beans; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- To serve, discard bay leaves, ladle chili into bowls and top with chopped shallots. *Serve with fresh chopped jalapeno, if desired.
- Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers
Per serving: 220 kcal cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 26 g carb., 8 g fiber, 21 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet