Hearty Beef Stew
Try this recipe for a satisfying, healthy take on meat and potatoes.
- 1/4 pound lean beef, fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-salt chicken broth
- 1 16 ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1 12 ounce bottle dark German beer (or equivalent amount low-fat beef broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 small cabbage (about 1/4 pound)
- 1/2 pound carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill weed
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut beef into bite-size cubes.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy pot and add beef. When browned, add onions, garlic, and a small amount of chicken broth. Simmer until the onions and garlic are limp.
- Add remaining broth, tomatoes, beer, water, red pepper, cabbage, and carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, chop the celery and sweet potato and add to the mixture. Cook until the sweet potato and carrots are tender, about 45 minutes. Add pepper and soy sauce to taste. Garnish with dill weed and parsley.
- Nutritional information is based on using beef broth.
Per serving: 133 kcal cal., 3 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 426 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 7 g pro., 72 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet