Hearty Three-Bean Chili
Don't let the long ingredients list intimidate you! This chili is very easy to make and comes together in a snap. It's also full of fiber, protein, and iron, and it's delicious, to boot!
- 1 tablespoon oil (safflower or canola work well)
- 1 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded & chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern (or cannellini) beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained & rinsed
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, zucchini, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and saute for a couple minutes, until everything begins to soften.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and spices (chili powder through bay leaves), and saute for a few minutes more, until the onion becomes soft & golden. If things begin to stick, add a splash of water.
- Pour the tomatoes, beans, and water chestnuts into the pot, and give everything a good stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then lower heat & simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove bay leaves, and taste for seasonings. Add pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cubed avocado, as well as tortilla chips or cornbread.
Per serving: 423 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 662 mg sodium, 17 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 22 g pro., 242 mg calcium, 10 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet