Hearty Vegetable Soup
Research shows that 90 percent of Americans don't eat the recommended daily servings of vegetables. Canned vegetables can easily help you meet your veggie needs. Toss corn, green beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, or any other canned veggies stashed in your pantry into your next vegetable soup.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots
- 10 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can finely diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup squash
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 cup rinsed and drained navy beans
- 1 cup corn kernels (rinsed and drained if using canned)
- 1 cup green beans (rinsed and drained if using canned)
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients and wait until onions begin to soften and become translucent (about 5 to 7 minutes). Add potatoes and carrots and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes, scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits. Increase to high heat and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Recipe by Holley Grainger, nutrition expert and owner of Holley Grainger Nutrition.
Per serving: 115 kcal cal., 1 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 24 g carb., 4 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 4 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet