Italian Broccoli with Pine Nuts and Garlic
This recipe was featured in our March 2006 story "How Stars Stay Slim" and is from Hollywood Dish by Hollywood caterer and chef Akasha Richardson.
- 2 bunches (about 2 pounds) rapini (also called broccoli rabe or Italian broccoli), bottoms trimmed and stems peeled
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Roughly chop rapini and drop into a large stockpot of rapidly boiling salted water. Cook for about 1 minute, then drain.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add rapini, salt, and pepper, and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes until rapini stems are tender. Season with salt, pepper, and basil. Garnish with pine nuts.
Per serving: 114 kcal cal., 8 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 8 g carb., 6 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 8 g pro., 247 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet