Jamaican-Spiced Chicken and Crispy Swiss Chard
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (breast, thigh, drumsticks, or a mix)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, plus extra sprigs for roasting
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for marinade if desired
- 2 red potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, cut into 1-inch strips
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Prep a rimmed half sheet pan (about 11 by 17 inches) with foil or parchment and place the chicken in the center of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a blender, process the scallions, Scotch bonnet pepper, allspice, garlic, water, 1 tablespoon thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a smooth paste, adding some olive oil or additional water if needed.
- Coat chicken with the marinade, placing some between the meat and skin if possible, and set pan aside. Cut potatoes into 1 1/2-inch cubes and carrots into 1 1/2-inch pieces and place around the chicken. Drizzle vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons thyme, and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Top pan with thyme sprigs.
- Transfer pan to the oven. Toss chard with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. After 35 minutes, add chard to the baking sheet on top of the carrots and potatoes. Continue cooking until the chicken skin and chard are crisp and the other vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes more.
Per serving: 569 kcal cal., 35 g fat (9 g sat. fat), 407 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 40 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet