Jamie Oliver's Minestrone Soup
This delicious dish comes from The Naked Chef, a cookbook by Jamie Oliver. When Kelly Ripa makes this soup, she substitutes a 15-ounce can of chickpeas for the pasta.
- 10 large ripe plum tomatoes (or 2 14-ounce cans tomatoes, drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, outer leaves removed, chopped
- 5 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 heaped tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 3 cups ham, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 1 cabbage, chopped
- 3 handfuls basil, torn
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Score tomatoes and place briefly in boiling water. Remove from water, skin, seed, and roughly dice.
- Pour olive oil into a warmed thick-bottomed pan and cook carrots, leeks, celery, onion, garlic, and rosemary over medium heat until just tender, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock, bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming if necessary. Add cabbage, cover the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add and pasta, and simmer for 5 more minutes or longer. Taste and season. (Soup should be quite thick, full in flavor, and cabbage shouldn't be overcooked, you want to retain its deep color.) Serve with peppery extra-virgin olive oil and fresh Parmesan.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving but does not include additional olive oil or Parmesan cheese.
Per serving: 315 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 60 g carb., 11 g fiber, 19 g sugar, 11 g pro., 177 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet