Josie Le Balch's Fennel Salad with Blood Oranges and Fuji Persimmons
Josie Le Balch, renowned chef at Santa Monica's Josie restaurant, has created a salad with real creative flair.
- 2 blood oranges
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced crosswise (use a mandoline)
- 2 fuji persimmons, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 bunch watercress tops
- 1 pinch fennel seeds
- Using a mandoline slicer (available at home-cooking shops), slice fennel bulbs crosswise, as thin as possible. Peel and cut persimmons into small wedges.
- Using a knife, peel oranges, sectioning and removing all membranes over a bowl to catch juice. Reserve juice.
- In a salad bowl, add lemon and orange juices and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until salt dissolves. Slowly add olive oil. Add fennel, persimmon, orange sections, and watercress tops. Sprinkle with fennel seeds. Toss and serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 179 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 25 g carb., 7 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 2 g pro., 88 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet