Kai Restaurant's 3 Sisters Bean Bowl
A medley with real zing, this dish easily becomes a meal when served over a big bed of greens. At Kai, the chef makes this dish with tepary beans, which are similar to the kidney beans called for in this recipe.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can white or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 zucchini squash, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup diced Mexican Oaxaca cheese (or fresh mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 packed cup basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place corn kernels in a small bowl and toss with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Scatter corn on prepared baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Whisk together remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil with vinegar, shallot, and garlic in a large salad bowl. Add roasted corn to bowl along with beans, zucchini, yellow and red bell peppers, cheese, chives, and basil. Gently toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss again and serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Per serving: 328 kcal cal., 15 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 423 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 23 g sugar, 11 g pro., 141 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet